Alameda County Library provides free library cards and services to anyone living, working, or going to school in California. We are committed to upholding local library privacy and laws, keeping your circulation and registration records confidential. Please help us protect member privacy by reporting lost or stolen library cards or materials immediately.
- Register in person and bring identification with name and current address.
- Examples of identification and proof of address include: Driver's license or state-issued ID card, school ID, a physical or digital utility bill, or recently postmarked mail.
- There is no minimum age for a library card. Parents or caregivers may decide when to get a card for their children. For children under 13, the parent or legal guardian must complete or sign the application. The child must be present to receive the card.
- All members may borrow any of our materials, regardless of age or reading level.
- We are committed to providing equitable access to all. If you don't meet any of the above requirements contact your local library for assistance.
- Register online and gain immediate access to electronic resources and check out eBooks, stream movies, and more!
- You may borrow up to 100 items. Within that 100 item limit, you may borrow 20 DVDs or Blu-rays, 20 CDs or Audiobooks, 15 Link+ items, and 2 digital devices.
- All items check out for 3 weeks, except for some digital devices that are for use in the library only.
- Items may be renewed up to 2 times unless there is a hold on the item or you have an item that is 21 days or more late.
- Lucky Day or items from similar collections may not be renewed and do not allow holds.
- Link+ items are subject to the borrowing policies of the lending library which may be different.
We do not charge overdue fines! However, any lost or damaged items will be billed to your account.
- Any items not returned in good condition by 21 days after the due date will be charged the cover price.
- All bills will remain on your account until paid. No interest is ever charged.
- Bills are not reported to collection agencies and will not affect your credit score.
- If more than $10 is owed on your account you will be unable to borrow additional items.
A full version, opens a new window of this policy is available for you online.