Alameda County Library protects the right to privacy and confidentiality of all library members. We avoid creating unnecessary records, destroy records not needed for library business purposes, and do not engage in practices that might make personally identifiable information accessible without your consent. The Library protects personally identifiable information (PII) by storing it on secure servers and changing passwords regularly. We follow all state, federal, and local privacy laws.
What information does the Library collect?
Information the Library collects includes, but is not limited to:
- Information to register for a library card (e.g. name, address, telephone number, email address,
- Records of material currently checked out, charges owed, payments made.
- Records of communication between staff and members;
- Sign-up information for library classes or programs.
- Records of public computer sessions.
- Catalog or database search records.
- Records related to library volunteer work.
- Other personally identifiable uses of library materials, facilities or services.
A full version, opens a new window of this policy is available online.