Are you or do you know a teen interested in becoming the 2023 Alameda County Youth Poet Laureate? Unsure where to begin? Here are a few tips to consider when submitting your YPL application.
- Apply! Even if you don’t think your work is ready yet, the application process is also a great way to learn and improve for next year.
- Read your poems out loud before submitting them! This helps you hear errors and typos you might read past if you just read it to yourself.
- Record yourself reading one of your poems. Practice speaking slowly and clearly and allow for air between your sentences. This helps the audience take in your work.
- Tell a poet friend of yours to apply too! Knowing someone who is also applying can increase the fun.
- View the Youth Poet Laureate FAQs for additional helpful tips including the application process, submission requirements, and how the judges will rate submissions.
Additional questions? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.