Juneteenth 2022: Celebrating Emancipation Day
What is Juneteenth?
Juneteenth is a celebration of freedom. We use this day to remember the emancipation of enslaved African Americans in Galveston, Texas, who did not learn of their freedom until June 19, 1865, two and half years after the Emancipation Proclamation. Major General Gordon Granger prepared General Order Number 3 which ended legalized slavery in the state of Texas. The 13th Amendment to the Constitution abolished slavery in the United States.
A name combining the words ‘June’ and ‘Nineteenth,’ Juneteenth was initially celebrated primarily by Black Texans. Over the decades, the holiday was recognized and celebrated in states across the country. It is an occasion for communities to come together for barbeques, music, storytelling and festivals. It is also a time to learn the history of slavery and Reconstruction and to make efforts to bring about reparations. After years of advocacy by people such as activist Opal Lee and Representative Sheila Jackson Lee, the bill to make Juneteenth a federal holiday was signed into law by President Biden in 2021. Alameda County Library hopes you discover your own way to celebrate Juneteenth this year!
Juneteenth at Alameda County Library
- Attend a Juneteenth storytime at Newark Library
- Listen to a recording about Juneteenth at the Listen Inn by dialing 833-990-BOOK (2665)
- Learn more about the history of Juneteenth with this Adult book list
- Find the newest biographies and nonfiction for kids about the holiday
How to Celebrate Juneteenth throughout the Bay Area
- Celebrate Juneteenth Weekend in Oakland at The Pan-African Wellness Fest & Fam Bam X
- Enjoy free admission to Juneteenth: Freedom Day @ MoAD (Museum of the African Diaspora) in San Francisco
- Visit a farmer’s market in East Oakland featuring Black-owned farmstands at Akoma Market
- Attend an exhibit of 8 Black Hunters Point Shipyard Artists - A Juneteenth Celebration
- Get outdoors for a 5K Run with Juneteenth Run w/Black Men Run
- Vibe to live music outdoors at the 41st Annual Juneteenth In The Park Festival in San Jose
- Partake in fun for all ages at the Berkeley Juneteenth Festival