The Niles Library is AC Library’s oldest – it was built in 1927 by Helen and William Ford and opened January 1928. It occupies 2152 square feet and is named for Jane R. Clough, Helen’s mother. The building is owned by Alameda County, as it predates the incorporation of the City of Fremont. Niles is not an ADA accessible building, and the 2nd floor, accessible only by stairs, can be used as a semi-private work or small program space. The building is home to one piece of public art, Poppy Nymph by sculptor Jo Mora. The collection is approximately 11,000 items with 66% of the borrowing is of children’s materials. Niles Library is only open on Fridays and hosted more than 80 programs in 2019.