The first library in Dublin opened on May 21, 1914 in the general store at the intersection of Dublin Blvd. and Donlon Way. The general store was sold in 1948 and the County bookmobile provided service to the community. It wasn’t until 1966 that a new permanent location was opened on the grounds of Dublin Elementary School. The library locations continued to grow in size under the direction of Mrs. Virginia Bennett with “Big Dublin” opening its doors at the Amador Valley location on March 1, 1970. “Big Dublin” served the community until the present day location opened in in its current facility in April 2003. Circulation now surpasses 500,000 items a year.
The present day library is located at the City of Dublin’s Civic Center. It is 38,100 square feet and includes dedicated areas for children and teens, public space for computer use, and quiet and group study areas.
There are two public meeting spaces, Community Room and Library Program Room, that are administered by the City of Dublin and can be rented by community members. Information about the rooms and questions regarding reservations can be made by calling the City of Dublin Parks and Recreation Department at 925 556-4500 during business hours.
The building also includes three pieces of public art. Click the thumbnails below to learn more about them.
The Dublin Library is an open, welcoming, family-friendly place, committed to enriching lives and creating opportunity through the love of reading, the joy of learning, and by engaging with people of all backgrounds to build an informed and thriving community. The Library’s friendly staff is ready to help you find and enjoy books, movies, music, and more!