Schedule a Phone Appointment with a Lawyer
AC Library is proud to provide two legal support programs for members.
The Lawyers in the Library program is a free information and referral program staffed by volunteer lawyers. In a one-on-one phone appointment, lawyers can answer questions on most legal topics. If legal help is required, people are referred to other agencies.
The Property Transfer Clinic is a free one-on-one phone consultation for Alameda County homeowners with a lawyer regarding questions on the following:
- Alameda County assessment process
- Holding title to property and its tax consequence
- Transferring property to family members
- Transferring property to a revocable trust
- What happens to property after a death of a loved one
- Common exclusions from reassessment
- Regarding Proposition 19, the Alameda County Assessor's Office will wait for the State of California to officially declare the passage of Prop 19 before making any public statement about its implementation. Furthermore, we expect the State Board of Equalization (BOE) to construct the guidelines for all Assessors’ Offices on how best to implement this property tax law. The State BOE may take some time to create these guidelines, and once they are created the Alameda County Assessor's Office must analyze them properly prior to implementation. Currently we have no definitive timeline.
While our physical locations are closed, we are able to offer a limited number of phone appointments.
Appointments run for 15 minutes for the Lawyer in the Library program and 20-30 minutes for the Property Transfer Clinic. Due to limited availability, we can only make one appointment per month per person or family.
About the programs
The Lawyers in the Library program is co-sponsored by Alameda County Bar Association and Legal Access Alameda.
The Property Transfer Clinic is a partnership between the Alameda County Library, the Alameda County Law Library, and Legal Access Alameda; funded by the Alameda County Assessor's Office.
Captioning or interpretation will be provided for this program if requested at least 7 days in advance. For assistance, please contact email@example.com.