Requesting an item:
You may place up to ten holds/requests. If you have more than ten requests, you will not be able to place additional requests until you have fewer than ten. From the Catalog page search for the item you want.
Your search will either pull up the exact record OR a list of titles.
If you have a list, double click on the title you want to pull up the record.
Click on the "Request button."
Enter your name, barcode, and choose a pick-up location.
Click on the "Submit" button.
You will get a message that your request is successful."
When your hold/request is ready for pick-up you will received an email, telephone call or U.S. Mail notification. Email is the fastest method, followed by telephone and regular mail. To use email notification, log-in to “My Account” and select “Modify Personal Information” and type in your email address. You will also receive “almost” due and “overdue” notices via email.
See Catalog FAQs
How to use the cart to request materials:
- From the Classic Catalog page search for the items you want.
- Check the box next to the item you want.
- Click on "Save Marked Records" to save each item.
- When you are done searching, click on the "View Cart" button.
- Click on the "Request Saved" button and enter your name, barcode and choose a pick-up location.
- To request everything click on the "Request All" button.
- If you decide to request only some of the items, put a check in the box or boxes. Click on the "Request Selected " button.
- In the status column "Request successful" will appear.
- TO RENEW ONLINE, click on My Account & enter your name and library card barcode.
- You will see a link marked "Items currently checked out." Click on the link to view the materials you have checked out.
- Select the materials you want to renew by checking the boxes in the RENEW column.
- Then click the "Renew Selected" button.
- A new due date will appear with RENEWED in the status column.
- IMPORTANT: be sure to read the messages in the status column. If you cannot renew items, a message will appear.
- TO RENEW BY TELEPHONE, have your library card and items to renew available to enter the book barcode numbers. Call 510-790-8096 and follow the instructions.
- Items may be renewed twice with the following exceptions:
Reasons why your renewal may not be successful:
- Another patron has a request (hold) on the item.
- Your fines or fees balance is $10.00 or above.
- An item on your record is ten or more days overdue.
- The item has already been renewed twice.
- Your library card account needs to be updated.